Call your pediatrician when:
- Child is 3 months or younger and has a rectal temperature of 100.4 degrees F or higher
- Child of any age is acting sick, is dehydrated, or has fever lasting more than a few days
When to administer medication:
- Once child is beyond 3 months old or with direct guidance from your pediatrician
- Give acetaminophen until your child is 6 months of age
- Contact pediatrician once the child reaches 6 months to discuss the use of ibuprofen
There have been recent changes in acetaminophen dosing. Now there is one formulation for both infants and children. Remember, we dose the medication based on the weight of the child, not the age.